Karen Schwartz takes a break at Evolution Lake
The Evolution Loop Fastpacking!
August 10-12, 2012
Supported Fastpacking means moving rapidly and unencumbered. Through cooperation with pack outfitters, this trip allows the unique experience of guided, multiday, remote wilderness travel with just a light running pack.
What is Fastpacking? - article
The Evolution Loop is a brilliant circumnavigation of the mountains on the Sierra Crest named after famous evolutionists like Mt. Lamarck, Mt. Darwin, and Mt. Mendel. This is a 3 day, 50+ mile tour, over 3 high passes and amidst stunning meadows, ridgelines, and lakes. One of John Muir's favorite parts of the Sierra, it is now conserved as wilderness of the Inyo National Forest and Kings Canyon National Park.
This is the opportunity you have always wished for in the mountains, but never thought possible. But it is.
OK, so how does this fastpacking trip work?
We send mules in advance with most everything you need to be comfortable in camp: sleeping bag, tent, fresh clothes, endurance trail snacks, etc. Then, with a superlight pack (generally less than 5 pounds), you walk, run, or jog the amazing mountain trails to camp with our guides. When you arrive in camp, you are greeted with a recovery treat by Adam Kelinson- accomplished chef, endurance athlete, founder of Organic Performance, and author of The Athlete's Plate: Real Food for High Performance. After enjoying a recovery swim, a rest, and a change of clothing, all in a spectacular location, Adam chefs up a delicious and nutritious meal. Eat. Tell stories. Laugh. Sleep well. Wake up early, and enjoy a wholesome breakfast again prepared by our chef and depart for another outstanding big day on the trail. And repeat. If you love the mountains and love to move over lots of terrain in a day, it doesn't get any better than this.
Trip Itinerary | Prerequisites | Additional Information
September 2011 Trip Report - coming soon
- Excellent Physical Condition, Health, and Fitness.
- Ability to hike/run 20 miles with significant elevation gain of 4,000 and/or loss of 4,000 feet a day carrying a small backpack of 4-6 lbs.
- Recommended sub-4.5 hour marathon time
- Recommended prior experience running trail ultra marathons, 50K or longer.
- Recommended prior acclimatization, 1-2 days above 11,000', sleeping above 9000'
- Recommended prior experience backpacking and wilderness travel
- Detailed equipment list will be sent after registration. All equipment for this trip can be purchased at Sage to Summit in Bishop, CA.
- Personal items to have at camp must arrive to our office in advance no later than 5 days before trip start date. Address: 312 North Main Street, Bishop, CA 93514
- It is important to treat preparing yourself physically for this trip as you would for a marathon or ultra marathon race. We recommend, after achieving baseline fitness, a minimum of 10 weeks targeted training for the demands of long distance mountain running and hiking on uneven, rocky terrain. Contact us if you have any questions about the specifics of your training program.
- Pack outfitter support
- Wilderness permits
- Wholesome, gourmet, backcountry meals prepared by our chef
- All camping and cooking equipment
- Vehicle shuttle
- 10% discount on all equipment purchased at Sage to Summit
back to top