Mammoth to June Traverse
We offer the classic resort interconnect tour between Mammoth Mountain and June Mountain, with special focus on making quality downhill runs along the way. A great 2-day, 13 mile trip that can we schedule monthly from January through March.
This is the perfect 2-day adventure tour for capable skiers and splitboarders interested in an introduction to multiday backcountry touring or as a good short tour for those with just the weekend to get out there. Minimum of 2 to run on these dates with these prices. Maximum guiding ratio of 4:1. It also makes an excellent one day light and fast traverse for experienced and very fit backcountry tourers. Click HERE to schedule this tour as a custom private 1 or 2 day itinerary.
Mammoth to June Traverse
Mammoth to June is a classic tour between our two Eastside ski resorts, Mammoth Mountain and June Mountain. We arrange it as a 2-day ultralight tour to allow plenty of time to milk the quality descents along the way. Other guide services like to traverse the ridge or head up the San Joaquin to the west. These variations might be scenic but the downhill skiing and riding is marginal. Our route drops in as often as conditions dictate to the north and east, where all the powder stashes and sweet terrain is found. We camp in the scenic and wild upper Deadman Creek drainage and finish with a summit of San Joaquin Mountain and ultimately a descent of more than 4000 feet to the June Lake area and the comforts of the Double Eagle Resort & Spa.
This tour makes a perfect introduction to multiday backcountry adventure and is ideal for people that only have the weekend to get out there. Ask us about arranging this guided tour on a custom private basis as an awesome 1 day blast, or later in the spring, it can be orchestrated to chase corn snow by reversing the direction from June Mountain to Mammoth Mountain.
Any way you do this one, it is a high class local Eastside backcountry favorite!
TRIP ITINERARY: Mammoth to June Traverse
|Day 1||Meet your guide in the early morning at Mammoth Mountain. Check equipment, and final packing, then from Main Lodge we skin up the closed road to Minaret Vista. From there the tour follows the San Joaquin Ridge north with spectacular views of the Minarets and the Ritter Range, as well as the headwaters of the Owens River to the east. Just before Deadman Pass drop in steeply to the northeast for a 1000' powder run. From there climb back to the ridge so we can drop in to another 1000' run and find camp in upper Deadman Creek.|
|Day 2||Pass east of the imposing Two Teats on the way to the summit of San Joaquin Mountain. Descend right from the summit and drop down one of several options like Positive 1, the Hourglass, or the Negatives to Upper Yost Meadow. From there the plan is to descend gently via Yost Creek and then descend via the 4 Seasons run or possibly Devil's Slide to finish at the Double Eagle Resort. Celebrate the end of a fantastic traverse! Either arrange to spend the night in the June Lake area or shuttle back with us to Mammoth.|
- Advanced-expert downhill skiing skills
- Ability to control speed and execute fall-line turns in control and comfort in a variety of backcountry snow conditions
- Ability to execute controlled turns and come to a stop on demand on 40 degree slopes
- Ability to sideslip forward and backward, with edge control, on steep slopes
- Experience ski touring in the backcountry using ski touring equipment (boots, bindings, skins, transceiver, shovel, probe, etc.)
- Very good fitness
- AMGA Trained/Certified Ski Guide
- Avalanche Rescue Equipment Rental (Transceiver, Shovel, & Probe) as needed
- Group camping equipment
- Shuttle back to Mammoth at end of trip, arranged in advance
- Personal ski touring and mountain gear (we have some items for rent)
- Personal overnight gear (we have some items for rent)
- Lodging & transportation to/from the Eastern Sierra